Christmas in Houston has become synonymous, for many music fans, with the Handsomes. The long-running pop act has been packing the Continental Club for a decade with its yearly holiday show, which includes a smattering of originals, well-worn covers and, of course, seasonal classics.
Vocalist Jordon Blackwell and guitarist David Nachtigall met at Lanier Middle School and went on to front local ska groups the Mod Squad and Half Loaded. The current lineup includes bassist Ben Stark and drummer Nic Zamora, who joined the group four years ago.
Single “Time to Let Go” was issued last year and has spurred the band to produce more original music. They’ve begun recording at Nachtigall’s home studio and plan to stick to the single format.
The band’s storied Christmas night shows attracts hundreds of people looking for respite from family squabbles and fruit cake.
“We’ve generally always hit capacity, but it used to be that people would have to wait out in the cold on the streets — or go home,” Stark said. “The coolest thing is that over the past decade, the neighborhood has really grown into a fun and comfortable place to hang out and have a drink. People can wait for the lines to die down while having a drink with friends and come in and out of the show at their leisure.”
And if you need more convincing, the Handsomes themselves offer 10 reasons why you should be there:
1. You’re just not in the mood for a silent night.
2. You can leave your parents at the door.
3. You can leave your kids at the door.
4. Unlike the weatherman, we can guarantee you it will snow on Christmas.
5. You can finally eat all you want on Christmas because you’ll work it all off on the dance floor.
6. You can only watch “A Christmas Story” so many times in a day.
7. It’s the best time to take down the stockings. And throw them onstage.
8. It’s better than a bowl of figgy pudding.
9. We’ll be celebrating the 10th year of the Christmas show, and that deserves a big ol’ party.
10. We’ll be celebrating the first year of the Christmas show, post-apocalypse. Hopefully.
The Handsomes 10th annual Christmas Bash
When: 8 p.m. Tuesday
Where: Continental Club, 3700 Main
Tickets: $10; 713-529-9899 or continentalclub.com