Capriccio's Calamari a la LucianaForget the rubbery rings you’ve likely tried at those chain-linked Italian restaurants. Fresh calimari in the hands of a deft chef is a beautiful dish.
Here are some of our favorte spots to indulge a squid jones.
- Pronto’s Frito Misto adds oh-so-refreshing razor-thin slices of fried lemon, plump shrimp and zuchini to the medley and its served with a zesty (often surprisingly so) marinara. Like the dish, love the $5.95 price tag.
- Pickled peppers and perfectly fried calamari create a mountainous appetizer at the tony Vic & Anthony's. If you’re not ready to shell out $40 for a steak, grab a seat in the bar and order yourself a martini and the squid.
- If you’re ever in Cypress/Fairbanks area, consider Capriccio Tapas’s Calamari a la Luciana. Capriccio sautees the calamari with tomatoes, a generous portion of garlic and parsley.
- You’ll want a top-shelf margarita to go with Pico’s Calamares A la Mexicana. That dish features squid sauteed with Serrano peppers, onion, tomatos and cilantro.
- Mi Luna's huge tapas menu features a handful of calamari dishes. You can have your squid grilled, fried or sauteed. Our favorite is on the Pizza de Marisco, where it is joined by shrimp, mussels, basil pesto and mozzarella.