There are bound to be manyy Clutch sightings as the NBA All-Star weekend unfolds.: Brett Coomer : 29-95
Houston is the center of the professional basketball world this weekend as NBA All-Star Weekend rolls into downtown.
Here are the official NBA-sanctioned events taking place downtown:
- NBA All-Star Jam Session, Thursday-Sunday at the George R. Brown Convention Center, 1001 Avenida de las Americas. The Jam Session offers basketball fans the opportunity to compete in skills challenges and meet current and past NBA stars, as well as team mascots and dance teams. Young fans can perfect their slam dunks, 3-pointers and jump shots in the Kids Zone. Hours are 4-10 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. Tickets range from $12-$30.
- The Sprint NBA All-Star Celebrity Game Friday at the George R. Brown. NBA legends team with celebrities for some unpredictable hoops action. Tip-off is 6 p.m. Event is sold out but will be aired live on TNT.
- BBVA Rising Stars Challenge, Friday at Toyota Center, 1510 Polk. Future stars of the NBA are showcased in this game. Tip-off is 8 p.m. Tickets start at $50; will air live on TNT.
- All-Star East & West Practice, Saturday at the George R. Brown. Watch as the 2013 NBA All-Stars and their coaches run through their game plans at 10:45 a.m. Sold out.
- NBA All-Star FIT Race, Walk & Dribble, Saturday at Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney. NBA and WNBA legends and mascots encourage youngsters to get active. Live music, games, 5K and 1K walks are a part of the festivities, which start at 8 a.m. Entry fees are $20-$40; register at nbarunwalkdribble.com.
Calvin Murphy was in a dancing mood at the Legends soiree in 2006.: Craig H Hartley photo
- Legends of Basketball All-Star Weekend Red Carpet Soiree, “A Night of A Thousand Stars,” Saturday at Mercedes-Benz of Houston, 3900 Southwest Freeway. Hall of Famers Elvin Hayes, Calvin Murphy and Moses Malone host a party that promises appearances by plenty of basketball royalty. This annual event presented by the National Basketball Retired Players Association is black-tie optional with an open bar, live music and “lavish” hors d’oeuvres. Tickets start at $100. Find tickets at nbrpahouston.org/legends-of-basketball-all-star-weekend.html.
- State Farm All-Star Saturday Night at the Toyota Center. This evening features some of the weekend’s most popular skills challenges, including the high-flying slam-dunk contest. Live on TNT starting at 7:30 p.m.
The NBA All-Star Game Sunday at the Toyota Center. Starters for the West team include the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant and Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant; the East team includes Miami Heat stars LeBron James and Dwayne Wade. Live on TNT starting at 7 p.m.
- Shaquille O’Neal’s All-Star Comedy Jam, Friday at Arena Theatre, 7326 Southwest Freeway. The former NBA star emcees these stand-up shows at 7 and 10:30 p.m. Tickets start at $65 at arenahouston.com.
- John Lucas Celebrity Bowling Challenge starts at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at 300 Houston, 925 Bunker Hill. Find details at johnlucasbasketball.com.
- Nike and the Jordan brand will create an interactive space at the Galleria Mall Thursday-Sunday, featuring everything from athlete appearances to a peek at new styles. Players Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Kevin Durant are scheduled to stop by, and visitors can try on the new Air Jordan.
- Fatherhood & Family Panel Discussion, 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lakewood Church, 3700 Southwest Freeway. The event will be hosted by NBA All-Star Wade, New York Knicks assistant GM Allan Houston and Lakewood’s Joel Osteen. CNN’s Soledad O’Brien and Carl Lentz of Hillsong New York City will moderate. Free admission. Details at lakewoodchurch.com.
- The Budweiser Experience takes over Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney, Friday-Sunday. Among the attractions are the brand’s signature Clydesdale horses, a basketball court, appearance by NBA legends and a pop-up bar (for those ages 21 and older). And best of all, it’s free.
- The All-Star Gospel Celebration will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Arena Theatre, 7326 Southwest Freeway. Confirmed participants include Olympic gold medalist Gabrielle “Gabby” Douglas, NBA All-Star Tracy McGrady and his wife, CleRenda McGrady, TV anchor Roland Martin, gospel singer Brian Courtney Wilson, “106 & Park” host Miss Mykie, Lakewood Church worship leader and Grammy winner Israel Houghton and more. Tickets are $55-$95 and available at store.thehelppppagency.com.
- Fatherhood Summer and Basketball Game will be 6 p.m. Thursday at Windsor Village UMC-Kingdom Builder Center, 6011 West Orem. Free admission. Also at the center, All-Star Gospel Concert featuring James Fortune at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Concert tickets are $30. Find details at allstarinspiration.com.
- The NBA All-Star Gifting Suite, 1-7 p.m. Sunday at Jazzy Girls Boutique, 2015 W. Alabama, will allow you to shop like an A-Lister. Tickets are $20 at luxuryallstargiftingsuite.eventbrite.com.